discrete adj : constituting a separate entity or part; "a government with three discrete divisions"; "on two distinct occasions" [syn: distinct]
EtymologyFrom discret, from discretus, from past participle of discernere.
- Separate; distinct; individual.
- Something that can be perceived individually and not as connected to, or part of something else.
- In the context of "electrical engineering": Having separate electronic components, such as individual resistors and inductors — the opposite of integrated circuitry.
- In the context of "audio engineering": Having separate and independent channels of audio, as opposed to multiplexed stereo or quadraphonic, or other multi-channel sound.
- Having each singleton subset open: said of a topological space or a topology.
- German: diskret, eigenständig, einzeln, unstetig, separat
- Feminine plural form of discreto
Discrete may refer to:
- Discrete device, an electronic component
- Discrete frequency, non-continuous frequency
- Discrete mathematics, the study of structures without continuity
- Discrete probability distribution, a random variable that can be counted
- Discrete signal, a time series
- Discrete space, a simple example of a topological space
- Discrete time, non-continuous time
discrete in German: Diskret
discrete in French: Discret
discrete in Lithuanian: Diskretumas
discrete in Dutch: Discreet
discrete in Russian: Дискретный
discrete in Slovak: Diskrétny
alien, aloof, apart, assorted, asunder, at odds, at variance, bipartite, broadcast, broken, broken off, chopped-off, choppy, contrary, contrasted, contrasting, decousu, departing, detached, deviating, deviative, dichotomous, different, differentiated, differing, diffuse, disaccordant, disagreeing, disconnected, discontinued, discontinuous, discordant, discrepant, discriminated, disjoined, disjunct, disjunctive, disparate, dispersed, dispread, disrelated, disseminated, dissimilar, dissipated, dissociated, dissonant, distinct, distinguished, distributed, divergent, diverging, divers, diverse, diversified, episodic, exotic, extraneous, fitful, foreign, gapped, herky-jerky, heterogeneous, in disagreement, in two, inaccordant, incoherent, incommensurable, incomparable, incompatible, incongruous, inconsistent, inconsonant, independent, individual, inharmonious, insular, intermittent, interrupted, irreconcilable, irregular, irrelative, isolated, jagged, jerky, many, motley, multifarious, nonadherent, nonadhesive, noncoherent, noncohesive, noncontinuous, nonlinear, nonsequential, nonserial, nonuniform, open, other, outlandish, parenthetic, partitioned, patchy, poles apart, poles asunder, removed, scattered, scrappy, segregate, separate, separated, several, snatchy, sparse, spasmodic, sporadic, spotty, spread, straggling, straggly, strange, strewn, strown, suspended, tenuous, unadhesive, unaffiliated, unallied, unassociated, unattached, unattended, uncoherent, uncohesive, unconformable, unconnected, unequal, unjoined, unlike, unrelatable, unrelated, unsuccessive, untenacious, variant, varied, variegated, various, varying, widely apart, widespread, worlds apart